Thursday 17 September 2020

Shmuels diary entry



For the class novel we are reading The Boy In Striped Pyjamas. one of the tasks were to write a diary entry from Shmuels point of view. In case you didn't know Shmuel is Bruno friend from the camp.

10 August 1942

Today I was woken up by screaming. I saw a man being dragged out. I felt sorry for him. Lieutenant Kotler called for me today,I was dead scared thinking that something terrible was going to happen but surprisingly he pulled me up to a path towards a large house,I was so surprised. I walked into the kitchen and was given a cloth. “I need all these glasses polished” Lieutenant Kotler said gesturing towards a large set of glasses “and you have small enough fingers” he continued “And woe betide you if you smudge or break them”. I nodded and got to work. Halfway through the glasses Bruno walks in, ”Shmuel?? What are you doing here?” he asked, sounding astonished. “I have to polish these glasses,” I replied, not looking up. He walked over to the fridge and grabbed some chicken. I was shocked. It seems so long ago that I could just walk freely over to food. He offers me some, I ponder over it but shake my head “if he comes back he’ll be furious” I told him “who? Lieutenant Kotler? Oh don't worry about him,this is my house not his” Bruno says through his mouthful. He hands me some chicken and I was stupid enough to eat it. “You! Boy! What are you doing? You stole that food,didn't you! Don't lie to me!” Lieutenant Kotler shouts at me “You,little man. Bruno. Did he steal any food?”.he asked Bruno “He gave me some,he's my friend” I told lieutenant Kotler. He looks at Bruno "Is he your friend?” he says multiple times. “I- umm'' Bruno stammered “No,I’ve never seen him in my life” Bruno finally answers. I was shocked,Bruno lied,and now I was in big trouble with lieutenant Kotler. “Just as I thought,Shmuel you will follow me please”. I walked out shaking knowing what was coming next….

I’m not sure I'll be able to forgive Bruno,he may have been my friend but..





1 comment:

  1. Hi, I was wondering could you possibly write one of what happens to shmuel after? With him and Lt. Kotler? That would be amazing, thank you ��

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.