Friday 10 August 2018

Arahura Marae

On Tuesday 7th August Rata 5,Totara 2,Te Hiringa and Mamaku 2 went to Arahura Marae in Hokitika.
This was a very interesting experience and most kids never had been to a Marae so most kids didn't know what was in store!
We went by van,car and bus,when we got there we lined up with girls in the front and the boys in the back because of a tradition if they were attacked the boys would protect the girls.
When we were in the Marae we sat down on rows of chairs(the boys were in the front)We did greetings and a hungi then it was almost time for kai.(food) 
Once we had finished kai we went back into the Marae for Mihi's(introducing yourself in Maori)then we listened to the stories about the chiefs.
Took the photo and went back to school.
 I would give the Marae 100% great!!! 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Abbie
    I am pleased that you would gave the marae experience a 100% It really is an amazing experience that I think that you will remember. I am going on the 28th of August and the way you have written about your experience makes me really excited about going. What I did enjoy was that you gave a reason as to how or why things happened the way that they did. Just make sure though that you are writing in full sentences and that these make sense before you publish.
    Kind regards
    Mrs England

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abbie, my name is Kyra and I am a Year 7 in Totara 3. I like your post about your visit to the Arahura Marae because there is a cool description on how the day went.

    What was your favourite chief and part of the day?

    This reminds me of when I went to the Arahura Marae. We were the third group and I had an awesome time! The ride up was a little rough, but the marae itself certainly made up for that!

    Maybe next time you could check your spelling for hongi. All in all, amazing post and cool photo!

    He Whetu Koe!

    From Kyra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kyra
      Thanks for the feed back and I'll do some studying for my spelling!!!
      Bye from Abbie

      Delete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.