Thursday 17 September 2020

It all happened so fast

“It all happened so fast.”


The air-raid sirens start blaring. We ran to turn off the lights. I was in charge of the black-out curtains, but being short meant that it was hard to reach the pull-string. I kept jumping and struggling to reach it. I finally got it and ran to do the next one,once I had got all of them Shreccy and Lulu and turned the lights off,we sat under the counter with a candle. “Why couldn’t we have been sent to the countryside?” Tilly asked the room. The only thing that answered were the sirens and some loud crashing. Suddenly the crashing got so loud it could deafen someone,then everything started to shake,the floor felt lopsided and I heard Tilly scream. Everything went quiet. I jumped up so fast the corner of my favourite dress tore. Some of the lilac fabric ripped. “Lulu! You ripped your dress!” Shreccy tutted. “Okay mother-rr!” I said. We realised that Tilly still hadn’t said anything. I ran around shouting her name when all of a sudden someone came staggering through the door “Hey,Hey you're giving me a headache.” father slurred as she came through the door as if nothing happened. “What happened,WHAT HAPPENED?” Shreccy shouted “A BOMB JUST WENT OFF AND YOU COME IN HERE LIKE NOTHING HAPPENED” They went on shouting until I cried “TILLY’S MISSING!” They turned to look at me. “What?” Father said calmly. Too calmly. Sensing what's about to happen Shreccy came over and put her arm around me. “The crash,Tilly screamed and I can't find her '' I mumbled. “That's it!” Shreccy said she walked to our room and grabbed a few dresses, a couple of cardigans,our raincoats,a few books,a notebook and pencil,some of Tillys favourite things and my stuffie,Mr Snow. She packed all of this into 2 of our school satchels and walked out our room and through the hall. She looked up at dad and said so coldly it made my blood shiver “Thanks.for.nothing.father” she held her arm out indicating to me that I should follow her. As we left the room I heard father...crying?

We walked down the staircase in worse condition than before the bomb hit we had to jump a few missing stairs. Once we got out on the street we heard crying,shouting and people cursing the Germans. “Where are we gonna go now?” I asked in tears. Someone from the streets came up to us.”Hey little ladies,what are you doing out this early after an attack?” He asked us kindly, I mumbled something, “Pardon?” he asked “She said none of your business sir,now if you excuse us” Shreccy said making herself seem a LOT older than 9. “No can do lil’ missy. I'm part of the crew who helps the sick and injured and if your mummy and daddy got bombed then you're going to have to go to us and we’ll set you up in foster care for now.” This got me stuck and I think it stumped Shreccy too. “Ahhh,you see sir we were just going home now.” Shreccy said not quite thinking of the words. “Where were you?” He asked with what In believed was general concern. Shreccy stood there not replying “Go on then lovey,I’d ask your little sister but I believe she doesn’t wanna talk” he laughed as if he had cracked an amazing joke. “We were at school. We were in trouble so we had to stay late and clean the backboards” I squeaked. “And she talks!” He said with a friendly grin “Well that would explain the satchels. I thought you would have been running away!” He said cheerily “Anyway poppets hop along now and get home quick I expect your parents are worried sick!” and with that he left “Good-bye” Shreccy said to make her seem like she had enjoyed that conversation when we walked off I added “And good riddance!”.

“Where did you get that good at lying Lulu? You almost made me believe it!”.

“I- I’m not sure” I confessed. “Where are we going to go?” I asked “Well Emma said we were always welcome with her!” Emma! Why hadn’t I thought of it before? Oh wait BECAUSE SHE HALFWAY ACROSS THE WORLD well not HALFway I never found out exactly how far away Whales is but I do know its far! “How will we get there?” I asked sarcastically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.